Saturday, October 8, 2011

Our Adoption Costs....

Many people have been recently asking me to give them an update of our costs and where we are in saving towards this looming number:O)  This post is my effort to answer your questions and shed a little light on our adoption journey.  Hang on, it's a long post, but there is a surprise at the bottom:O) 

The main question I've encountered when I announced that we were going to adopt was, "how much does it cost to adopt?"  When I tell people a price range, their jaws often drop.  Most people declare something like, "that's outrageous, how can they charge that much!!!"  But when you look at the breakdown, it makes better sense.

So to clear the air and help others understand what truly goes with the fees we pay I'll share that breakdown with you.  These are on the low side compared to Alea's adoption(which we're thankful for), but each country has its own specifics.  These are for our adoption from Taiwan.  Often times when fundraising, people see the overall number and wonder how their $10 could possibly help, but I'll tell you....every little bit counts as you can see by our fundraising thermometer on the right side of this page:O)  This breakdown was made by a fellow Taiwan adoptee and I've just inserted the numbers specific to our case.  Thanks Meghan!!

Here it is:

Home Study Costs
FBI Background Checks 100
Home Study Fee 900
Post-Placement Fees 450
Total Home Study Related Costs1,450

Dossier Costs
Authentication of Documents 330
Overnight Shipping to Taiwan 100
Total Dossier-Related Costs 430
 
 Agency-Related Cost
Childcare in Taiwan ($1,500 x 6 months) 9,000
Agency Fee 4,100
Legal Expenses in Taiwan 2,500
Translation Fees 400
Misc. Medical Costs 400
Health Insurance in Taiwan 170
Wiring Fees 150
Total Agency-Related Costs 16,720

Immigration Costs
INS Immigration Fees 890
Taiwanese Immigration Costs 400
Total Immigration Costs 1,290

Travel Costs-depends on how long you stay and time of year tickets are purchased:7-14 days
Airfare 3,600 to 4,000
Lodging and Other Travel Costs 2,000-3,000
Total Estimated Travel Costs 5,600-7,000


Total Estimated Adoption Expenses 25,490-26,890


We have the added expense of $2000 for Warren to take time off of work to travel.  Since he is a Union Carpenter he doesn't receive paid vacations.  As you can see, now that they are laid out, the expenses make complete sense.  I love knowing where every penny of our money is going.  It truly brings peace of mind in a world where human trafficking is a norm. 

We are praising God that so far we have been able to raise $10670 towards our total costs, of which $8380 has been paid to date.

On October 20th, we will have our first court date.  Warren and I are not required to be present, but will wait in urgent expectation for word from our coordinator on how it went.  Seven days after after this court date, on the 27th of Oct, we will be required to have in our next set of fees which breaks down to be $5050.  At this point we have about $2340 saved up.  We are working to save more and make more in any way that we can.  I was able to sell a few things of value that I have and am looking in every nook and cranny to find more:O)

We are also fundraising with our group Three for Three.  Around $2000 of the total above came from our combined fundraising efforts.  We are currently selling T-Shirts to help fundraise for our adoptions.  Check out www.threeforthree.org to purchase one.  On the 28th of this month we will also be working at a community Harvest Party.  We will be selling hot dogs, a treat and a water bottle for $2 a plate.  If you are local, please bring your kids and grandkids to join in the fun!  Our last planned fundraiser is selling our crafts at the local Fantasy Forest Holiday Bazaar.  Again, if you are local we hope to see you there.  Warren and I will also be applying for a grant to help with our adoption expenses.

If you have another fundraising idea for us, we would love to hear from you.  We truly know that God led us on this journey to our daughter.  He has provided for us every step of the way, and we praise Him for it!!!  He truly has been so faithful to us and to our daughter.  He says He, "sets the lonely in families(68:6)" and is the "Father to the Fatherless(Ps 68:5)."  We stand on the truth that He loves our girl much more than we could ever imagine.  He has a plan set in place to ensure that she won't be left alone and that she will be loved.

Please pray with us as we pursue bringing our daughter home.  I hope that I encouraged you as I shared what God has done so far in our family.  I can't wait to share more as we walk this journey of faith to our treasured daughter.  If you feel led to help us out with a portion of our fees I have a paypal link in the upper right side of this page.  It is linked specifically to our adoption account and if you click on it you'll be taken straight to paypal.  Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.  I want to be completely transparent in this process.

                                    Sneak Peek!!!  Isn't she so tiny....

God's Blessings!!
Jenn     



2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

I love the precious picture!!!! :)
You did a great job explaining the costs, Jenn. It's so hard for many to understand -- just fly over there and bring her home. Except, someone has to feed her until you can get there and courts don't work for free.

The system is slow -- and the wait is frustrating. BUT, I am truly thankful for the orphan that governments invest in the orphan -- they do all they can to make sure kids come home to safe loving families.

Keep pressing on!
Love,
Karen

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

Praying over you and finances and for a peace reagarding finances that you've NEVER experienced before! He will do it... He called you and HE WILL! 1 Thes. 5:24!!!! :) Praying.. Praying.. Praying!!!!!