Hi All!!!!
We just wanted to give you a little update on how our trip is going so far and the latest on the kidney stone issue.
We met an American couple here last week and they have been a huge blessing to us since the day we met them. Jonathan is an English teacher at one of the Language Schools here in Shymkent and his wife Becky raises her two beautiful children and helps foreigners out with their kidney stone crises':O) Just kidding, when we're not taking up her time, she does have a life! We spent a wonderful evening with them last Thursday eating a traditional Egyptian meal in traditional Kazakh style. We were given the place of honor at the table in the place farthest from the door. Kazakh's traditionally eat at a low table, lounging against pillows. It was a really fun experience for us. Their kids are delightful and had even made a picture to give to us as a present. They helped us with missing our sweet boys. Their littlest one is 6 just like Ethan and their oldest is 7 1/2. She told me all about Kazakh school and her homeschool too! We finished off the evening with questions about the Kazakh culture and people, with Banana splits, American style. The next day is when my kidney stones kicked in and poor Becky initially wondered if it was anything that she had fed me. I assured her that it wasn't her food because it was really good!!
Today Becky came over to take me to her hospital for an ultra sound. It cost a whopping $5 and change!!! They looked at my kidneys and said that I still had some "sand" in them but to keep taking the homeopathic medicine to clean out my kidneys that Becky found for me. They were very nice, it was very clean, and Warren stood guard over me just in case:O) My sweet man!! There was no cause to be worried because Becky speaks such great Kazakh!! She communicated so very well with them and she got everything taken care of.
Since I've been sick, Warren has taken a back seat, but to be fair he's not been doing so great himself. Something happenned to his back when we first arrived and its been tweaked since. Becky decided to talk to the ladies at the hospital about massage and they had us bring him back to work on him. They were all so very cute!!! We just laughed and laughed with them. When they saw Warren's tattoos on his arm they were teasing him telling him that he matched their shirts:O) He has basically a Hawaiian jungle tatooed on his arm. They were in awe that they were permanent and seemed to think that he was VERY BRAVE;o) or maybe just crazy! When it was his turn to go and get his $3 massage, one lady grabbed his hand and led him out of the room, holding his hand all the way. I think that they thought he was cute, or maybe that's just me:O) All he did was just smile at them. We had a wonderful time visiting with them while we waited. We haven't gotten the chance to meet many locals and visit since we've gotten here, and this was a wonderful experience for us. Thank you so very much Becky for taking up most of your day for us!!!
Becky also spent a considerable amount of time showing me around our neighborhood and finding places to eat for cheap. Nothing here is all that cheap, but we found a place today where we can eat for a little under $10 american dollars. Usually it costs us about $15 at least. We were so excited to find this place. She also took us to another restaurant and they wrote on the menu the things that we would like and all we will have to do is point when we go there and they will know. If we just spoke the language this would be much easier:O) Becky and Jonathan have truly been sent to us from up above.
We are missing you all at home like crazy, but we aren't driving each other crazy yet;o) The days have gone by fairly quickly, but we expect that they will begin to slow down here soon. Now that all of our major crisis' are out of the way. Please continue to pray that all of the sand in my kidneys just disappears. I don't want to hurt like that ever again!! Warren's back could use some extra prayers too. Other than that, life is going on. If any of you back home see my sweet angel baby boys(that are not really babies) can you please tell them we love and miss them so very, very much and give them great big hugs for us. Evidently Ethan had a meltdown the other day, and part of it was because he missed us. He's never been away from mommy for this long and I'm sure that his little heart isn't processing it so well. Caleb sounds like such a big boy from this far away. He's holding down the fort for his daddy while we're gone. My mom is doing an outstanding job with them and is seeming to hang in there. She still has it!!! Go mom!!! I love you!!!
Well, now that I've written a book, I will let you go. Talk to you later!
Jenn
13 comments:
Dear Jenn & Warren,
It was so good to receive your very interesting and newsy blog. Praise God for Becky and all her help. We are reading the blog daily and praying for each issue that comes up. Just know that all your friends at home are standing with you and your family. Praying that your little girl will be brought home with you safely and soon. Love, The porters
We haven't stopped praying for you yet! And we will not stop until you are all home. :)
It is truly a blessing to have another American family who lives in kaz to help out. We were also blessed with that and it was sooo helpful.
Love you girl!
My sweet friends not a moment in my day goes by without thinking about you and that sweet baby I can not wait to kiss :) I love your stories about Kaz so funny! ZYes I am sure they thought that Warren was cute...you know your friends secreatly do too...shh never tell him that! I miss you so much too and couting down the days for you to meet baby A (?)
Love you so much
Nat
Hey you two!
Glad to hear you're getting in some sort of "fun!" Love the pink bathroom. Jenn, Tim has been praying for you especially; remember how he had a kidney stone? He can't believe you're passing more than one! Staying in prayer for you both.
Love, Em and Tim
It sounds God sent you some angels in the form of Jonathan and Becky. What a blessing in so many ways. I will continue to pray for both your health and sweet little A.
Amy
Becky sounds like an angel...ask her if I can be in touch, in case I ever make it back to Shymkent!! Glad that there are no more crisis at the moment...praying for physical healing of your kidney stones and Warrens back...love to you, Karla
Jenn, thanks for the pictures of your apartment. A mansion compared to what we stayed in. I am glad to hear that you got some medical attention as well. Tears came to my eyes remembering how much I missed my kids when we were away. So happy for your friendship with Becky, husband and kids. That is such a blessing to have. Praying for you.
Beckie
I liked reading your book! Thanks for the detailed update! Jonathan and Becky sound wonderful! We've been praying for you often and were wondering how all was with you. Love the chandelier in the living room! Is it actually high enough for Warren to not knock his head against it? ;-)
Will continue to pray...
Guys, Your last post was such a blessing to read. You sound sooo much better and I am so grateful that you are having some fun and that you have found friends! Jenn, I couldn't imagine you surviving without another gal to talk with-you would never get your words used up on Warren! I also like the pink bathroom. I am so excited for you and constantly thanking God for your precious angel baby blessing. Love you Moosie Boy and Jenn. Tracy
It's been almost a week since we have heard from you...praying that all is well, and that you are just busy bonding and attatching to Alea! Love, Karla Sun, 6/8/08 PDT, USA
Well, those Kazakhs are crazy about massages, you know?! Ayan was sick almost the entire time we were in Kaz with different things. They wanted to treat literally EVERY one of them with some sort of massage. Good luck with that - Steph
I see that it is about 6:15 am Friday morning in Shymkent...wishing you a lovely day, decent weather, and a trip to visit your daughter? Love, Karla
Post a Comment